The 30 under 30 list, released each year, celebrates the incredible talent of young professionals in the radio industry. 

With an extensive range of experience, this year’s winners showcase some of the best young talent in the broadcasting industry right now.

We’re here to highlight the amazing 16 that have a background in student radio, and come from your very own stations…

Abi Paterson

Former Head of Production at Xpression FM at the University of Exeter, Abi has gone on to become an “all-star producer” at Muddy Knees Media. Her win shows that trust is fundamental to the relationship of a producer and who they’re working with – and that she’s fantastic at developing these bonds.

Alex Rogers

Overseeing the Radio 1 Lolathon is no mean feat, but “media extraordinaire” Alex has proved that his part in Greg James’ media output deserves him a place on the 30-under-30 list. With experience at Somethin’ Else, Transmission Roundhouse Radio and BBC Solent, Alex previously held committee roles at Surge Radio, taking on the roles of Assistant Station Manager, Head of Interactive, and Head of Music.

Anouszka Tate

Winning her place on the 30 under 30 list for her ability to “reach audiences who are generally only spoken about, rather than to”, Anouszka has an incredible backlog of experience in an array of mediums. Having taken her talent all over the place (even to France!), she currently works as a Freelance Podcast Producer. As a student she was a presenter and producer on the University of Exeter’s radio station, Xpression FM. 

Ben Cartwright

Fellow Xpression FM member Ben spent time as the station’s Head of Sport and Station Manager, and is now a Producer for Audio Always. Ben’s entry was credited for his multi-faceted understanding of the radio industry and the “outstanding moments” he’s created as a result of his hard work. 

Chelsea Dickenson

Leading her student station as Station Manager of Fuse FM in Manchester, Chelsea then went on to become Events Officer of the SRA! She now works as a Producer for Audio Always, creating “ground-breaking” and “provocative” content that earns her a place on the 30 under 30 list.

Chris Browning

As a Mainstream Controller and Station Sound Exec of Xpress Radio in Cardiff, Chris has made his mark as a Broadcast Journalist at BBC Radio Berkshire. Having pitched and made his first programme for Radio 4, as well as producing a BBC World Service Podcast, there’s no stopping Chris this year!

Danny Parkinson

Getting involved in student station Radio Hud as Breakfast Editor, Events Programming Co-ordinator and Deputy Manager, Danny’s been names as “the kind of warm personality that most presenters can only dream of”. Now working as a presenter for BFBS Radio, he’s credited for his production, presentation and interpersonal skills. 

Darby Dorras

Making his way through the ranks at Somethin’ Else, Darby is now an Executive Producer, running two Radio 4 strands. With student radio roots in Smoke Radio at the University of Westminster, he’s absolutely smashing it and is described as “one of the great audio innovators of our time”.

Dave Creasey 

Starting his student radio career at Radio Sonar, Dave’s went on to take on roles at LBC, NewsCorp and the Prison Radio Association. But what makes Dave even more fantastic is his initiative to set up record them, which gives people the opportunity to keep a recorded version of their loved ones’ life-stories, to never lose the sound of their voices. 

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Emma-Louise Amanshia

Having produced four high profile freestyles this year, Emma-Louise is making waves as a Producer at Radio 1 and 1Xtra. With a great background across the media spectrum, Emma-Louise was a big part of student media at both Nottingham University Television Station as well as a presenter on URN.

Emma Saunders

With a student radio background at Shock Radio in Salford, Emma is an inspiration to us all as she is now the youngest broadcaster to ever have landed a presenting role on BBC Radio 5 Live’s fan phone-in 606! 

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Francesca Wells

Working with fellow 30 under 30 Anouszka on the Project Pleasure Podcast, Francesca has been given a place on the list due to her amazing perception, making her “extremely astute about social platforms that need to be given more time and space on air”. Francesca was previously a presenter on her student station CSR at Canterbury Christ Church University. 

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Jamie Wareham

Now running the audio strategy and production for Gay Star News, Jamie’s made the progression through the roles of Young Voices and Production Manager. Having taken the role of Head of Web and Social Media at student station Smoke Radio, it’s clear that Jamie knows what he’s doing, and is one to look out for. 

Mo Ayoub 

After making an amazing impression at Demo Factor in 2016, Mo has been breaking the language barriers at Reprezent to make his content accessible to multilingual listeners. During his time at university, Mo was part of Leeds station LSR as Head of Production and Deputy Station Manager.

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Natasha Johansson

Another LSR alumnus, “Producer Extraordinaire” Natasha is the Digital Senior Content Producer for 5 Live, working to repackage 5 Live’s content into online series Live Wire to make it appropriate for a different audience on BBC Sounds.

Peter Horspool

Peter took on many roles in his student station, as a presenter, Deputy Editor of the News Team, reporter, and the Host of the Morning Breakfast Show. His “infectious” energy has led him to his role as Content Editor at the station Country Hits UK.