The I Love Student Radio Awards supported by Communicorp UK are over for another year, and what a year it’s been! We’ve seen the very best of student radio in the last twelve months, innovation, enthusiasm, and a commitment to making your station the best it can be. We’d like to congratulate al the nominees and winners. 

The I Love Student Radio Awards aims to celebrate the commitment and contributions of individuals to student radio. It is those people and stations who go the extra mile, putting in time, effort and creativity behind the scenes, and whose commitment to student radio is unprecedented; all our nominees embodied the spirit of the awards!

Let’s take a look at our awards and the worthy winners…

Outstanding Contribution to a Student Radio Station – This is for an individual who has made the most difference to their student radio station and continually strives to go the extra mile for their station. Highly commended: Edward North from Shock Radio, and Ellie Marsh from Spark. Winner: Danny Humby from Radio Sonar.

Best Training Initiative – This award will go to the station that offers their members an outstanding training scheme or programme. Highly commended: URF DJ Network Training Initiative, and University Radio Bath’s No Presenter Left Behind. Winner: DemonFM’s Training Fullhurst College’s Teacher Team.

Most Improved Student Radio Station – This is the station that has made the biggest improvement over the last year. Highly commended: DemonFM, and Utter Radio. Winner: Radio Sonar. 

Best Audience Initiative – This new award recognised the efforts of stations in trying to spread the word of student radio and getting people tuned in to their local station. Highly commended: DemonFM’s Halloween Hunt, and Purple Radio. Winner: BurnFM’s Open Day OB’s. 

Best Outreach Project – This is for a station that has created the best project to reach out to those around them. Highly commended: Leicester Comedy Festival by Demon FM, and Halloween Hunt also by DemonFM. Winner: Fly Through The Night by FlyFM. 

Most Committed Committee Member – This is for somebody who has led from the front, and been able to motivate their team to achieve great things, no matter whatever stood in their way. Highly commended: Marks Polakovs from University Radio York, and Rhys Bailey from DemonFM. Winner: Edward Norton from Shock Radio. 

Student Radio Team of the Year – This award recognises the outstanding efforts of a particularly area of a radio station, be it a particularly improved team that has made real progress over the last 12 months, or a sub-team that without their efforts a particular area of the station would be much worse off. Highly commended: Surge Radio’s News Team, and URY News and Sport. Winner: RAW1251AM’s Black History Takeover Producers. 

Hero of the Moment  – This award is for a person who has been outstanding at a particular event or at one specific moment during the year. Highly Commended: Araminta Jurgen-Romig from DemonFM, and Liz Markham from University Radio Falmer. Winner: James Penny from Liverwire1350.

Best Station Culture – Culture is incredibly important to any organisation to create a conducive and successful environment, allowing the best work to be done. Highly commended: FZN Radio, and RAW1251AM. Winner: Radio Sonar. 

Collaboration of the Year – This award will recognise the collaboration between two or more student radio stations in working together on a particular project, or with other student media elements at the same institution. Highly commended: Surge Radio and SUSUTV, and LSR x LSTV x The Gryphon take #GE2019. Winner: The URF Guest Slot. 

Most Supportive University or Students Union – This award recognises the organisations that provide support for their student radio station, whether that is through additional resources and finances, providing a bigger platform or playout, or by encouraging the station by helping to promote them. Highly commended: DemonFM and De Montfort University and De Montfort Students’ Union, and Rusty’s Radio and Bucks Students’ Union. Winner: URY and The Sabbatical Officers, Events, and Opportunities Teams at YUSU. 

The Spirit of Student Radio Award – This award is for the person who most represents the values of student radio. It is for someone who is trying new things or encouraging others to do so. They approach everything with a smile and can create solutions to any problem they face without a fuss or a big budget. Highly commended: Lily Fox, and Matt Rudd both of Fly FM. Winner: Kai Valentine from Spark. 

Student Radio Moment of the Year – There are so many brilliant things that happen across a year of broadcasting; this award is for those magical moments that really stand out. It could be what happened when a stretch goal was met in a fundraising event, or the moment when your university won the local Varsity day; perhaps it was when your tech team solved a huge issue that got your station back on the right track, or the launch event for your new schedule. Highly commended: Radio Sonar Chart Show, and We’re Going on a Boris Hunt by Spark. Winner: Wavelength World Music Festival by University Radio Falmer.

Region of the Year – The Region of the Year award, submitted by your Regional Officer, is for the region in the UK that has made the largest overall contribution to student radio this year. Highly commended: Northern Ireland, and North West & North Wales. Winner: Yorkshire. 

We’re so proud of all the nominees, highly commended nominees, and our winners. You all represent the best of student radio. We can’t wait to see what you all produce next year!